“Are we EVER gonna use this?”
If you’ve heard this all-too-common refrain echo through your classroom, then you know when it comes to students nothing is more powerful than relevance. It’s a challenge to find ways to bring the lesson material close to home.
That’s why Legends of Learning has decided to launch the STEM Visions Contest! The goal is to use games to engage students in science lessons, then challenge them to imagine a future in science. The contest will be held November 6-17 in classrooms across America.
How It Works
The teacher with the best submission wins $1000 in DonorsChoose funds for their classroom, and wins an annual license to the Legends of Learning platform for their school!
There will be additional cash and game prizes for runners-up and honorable mentions. Four runners-up will receive a $250 award and 3000 coins for the system. Another five distinguished teachers will earn 1000 coins.
So how do you enter? It’s easy:
Step 0: If you don’t have a Legends of Learning teacher account yet, sign up here. (It’s free!)
Step 1: Choose three learning objectives to play games with your class. You can find a list of our top ten here.
Step 2: Deploy games and playlists for that learning objective. If teachers prefer, gameplay can be integrated into a larger lesson plan.
Step 3: Prompt students to answer the following questions: if they were to choose a career in science, what would it be? Why? What impact do you hope to make?
Step 4: Upload one or more photos or videos to Facebook in a single post, using student answers as the captions (150 words max for each), and tag the Legends of Learning Facebook page. Submit the link to your post here.
See below for an example:
Below find the official rules for the contest, including winners’ prizes. Have any questions? Don’t hesitate, just reach out to email@example.com.
We can’t wait to hear about your students’ STEM Visions!
- Submissions must be entered via a post on Facebook, and posts must tag Legends of Learning (https://www.facebook.com/LegendsofLearning/).
- After posting on Facebook, entrants must also submit the link to their Facebook post via the STEM Visions Challenge Google form (https://goo.gl/forms/Z1bHL6iWJEDzSR362).
- Teachers may submit one (1) post with multiple student responses (“entries”), or one (1) post with one entry.
- Each entry is limited to a maximum of 150 words.
- Posts must include a photo or video for each entry, with the text of the entry as the caption.
- Photos and videos are not required to feature students. Whether or not a photo or video features students will not affect how a submission is judged.
- Teachers grant Legends of Learning the right to unlimited use of submitted photos, videos, and text in promotional materials.
- Submissions will be judged first by the quality of the entries, and then by the quantity of entries.
- One (1) teacher will be named the winner and will receive:
- $1000 on DonorsChoose.
- A one-year license for their school to use Legends of Learning.
- Four (4) other teachers will be named runners-up and will each receive:
- $250 on DonorsChoose.
- 3000 coins on the Legends of Learning platform.
- Five (5) other distinguished teachers will be named, and will each receive:
- 1000 coins on the Legends of Learning platform.
- Only teachers in the United States are eligible to enter the contest.